Xero Receipt Mapping and Import
Daily at 1pm, Utilmate imports all customer payments from your bank accounts (provided you already have them connected to Xero) into Utilmate and allocates them to the right customer.
Before you begin
Before mapping account codes, you'll need to:
- Have the debtors/account receivable accounts in Xero before they will appear in Utilmate for mapping. If you need to set up new accounts in Xero, go to Add, edit or delete an account.
- For all debtor/accounts receivable accounts in Xero, ensure:
- Tax is set to "No GST"
- Enable payments to this account is ticked or you won't be able to reconcile customer payments to the account in Xero.
- If you use third-party direct debit or credit card providers, they may pay into your bank account in one lump sum, rather than individual customer payments. If this is the case, you’ll still need to process these individual customer payments using our receipts import interface.
- The connection will import all payments received to your bank account and then assess them as to whether they are a customer payment or not. It's recommended to have customer payments coming into a separate bank account than your normal business transactions such as payroll etc so as Utilmate does not need to import or see them.
How Customer payments work
In Utilmate the accounts receivable can only be updated by invoices, adjustments or receipts. When a customer pays into your bank account(s), in Xero you'll reconcile this to a debtors or accounts receivable account code.
Based on this account code, Utilmate will know its a customer payment. Utilmate will attempt to match this to a customer in Utilmate using their reference and one of the below:
- account number
- sales customer number
- invoice number and amount
- name and balance
If its able to be matched, the receipt is added to the customer account and their balance reduced. If its not able to be matched, it is added to the suspense debtor (account 999999) for manual matching.
Receipt Account Mapping
Utilmate needs to know the account receivable account code(s) you'll be reconciling customer payments to in Xero. Go to the Add On's screen from the Maintenance menu, click on the Receipt Account Mappings button to open the Xero Receipt Account Mapping wizard.
You'll see a list of all your current asset Xero accounts lists. Check the boxes to indicate which account codes you will be reconciling customer payments to.
Your customer receipt account codes are now mapped and any customer payments reconciled to these account codes will be imported to Utilmate.
Aged Trial Balance Report
Utilmate keeps a full aged debtor balance for all customers in Utilmate. The sum of this should match the Xero Debtor account. The Aged Trial Balance report can be run at any time from the reports menu.